About

SERVICE TIMES

Sundays at 10am (Sunday School), 11am and 6:30pm.
Wednesdays at 7pm; Awana at 6:30pm (School year only)

INFORMATION

11616 Indiantown Rd., Jupiter FL 33478
561.746.5096
info@beaconbaptistchurch.org

Our History

In 1945 a group of Christians met at the home of Luzene Lamerson to discuss the organization of a Baptist church.  They located an old building on Parker Avenue in West Palm Beach, Florida.  The former bakery building, constructed during the early 1920’s, sat dormant and in disrepair – victim of the Great Depression.

The property was purchased with a small down payment from two individuals.  Shortly thereafter, they faced zoning issues.  After much prayer and appeal to the zoning board, West Side Baptist church was formed on May 4, 1945 with 16 charter members and Luzene Lamerson as pastor.  Pastor Lamerson was born in 1910 in Arcadia, Florida.  As a young boy, he relocated with his parents to Jupiter and later Indiantown.  Finally settling in West Palm Beach where Luzene accepted Christ as his personal Savior and was called to preach.
​In the early 1950’s, several folks from Jupiter, including Mr. And Mrs. Elzie Lanier, attended a tent revival service held by West Side Baptist Church.  The primitive roads between Jupiter and West Palm Beach fostered a suggestion to start a Jupiter mission church out of West Side Baptist.  The Lanier’s offered the use of their home on West Evernia and Loxahatchee Drive.   Pastor Lamerson agreed to preach on Thursday evenings.
Due to an influx of servicemen and their families, the congregation outgrew the Lanier’s home. They raised $400 to purchase two lots on Fern Street in Jupiter, Florida.  Services were held in tent meetings while the church building was constructed.  The congregation graciously donated the majority of labor and materials, including the steeple (donated by Mr. H.B. Driskell) and the pulpit (built and donated by Jupiter’s Mayor Lee Clark).

No longer an outreach mission, the Independent Baptist Church of Jupiter was formed on November 11, 1956 with Joe Ford as pastor who served through October 1959.  The name was later changed to Jupiter Baptist Church. Wilson Spahn and Donald Ketchen served as pastors from 1959 through 1962 when Palmer Long was appointed pastor.

In 1972 the building on Fern Street was sold to the Seventh Day Adventist church.  Proceeds from the sale along with a bond issue from First Bank and Trust of Jupiter/Tequesta were used to purchase 20 acres in the back woods of Martin County called Camp Mercy.  A large pond on the grounds provided a natural baptistery.  The Sunday School building and classrooms also served as a Christian school – a vision of Pastor Long.   His wife and daughters taught at the school.  Pastor Long also directed Gospelite Radio Broadcast that aired locally. Assistant pastors included Sextan Hall and later Jerry Teboe, whose wife, Barbara, taught in the school. 

Financial troubles with the bond issue forced the resignation of Palmer Long in 1976.  The attendance declined from over 300 members to approximately 75.  Jerry Teboe was elected pastor and sold Camp Mercy to pay off the debt.  The name changed to Beacon Baptist Church and the former Fern Street building was rented from the Adventists for Sunday and Wednesday services.

In 1979, the People’s Congregational Church property on Center Street listed for sale. The historic structure was built in 1924.

Service Times

Sundays at 10am (Sunday School), 11am and 6:30pm.
Wednesdays at 7pm; Awana at 6:30pm (School year only)

11616 Indiantown Rd.
Jupiter, FL 33478
561.746.5096

Download our App


~

Choir Resource Page

Choir Members, use this area to login to the Choir Resource page.

Click here to login

Sporting Event Rules & Release

Click Here to Register for sporting events at Beacon Baptist Church.